As businesses begin to reopen, your habits, attitudes, and plans for the future continue to shift. What activities are you most likely to engage with in the near future? Have concerns been alleviated or have they increased?
With each edition of the survey, over 10,000 of you have shared your thoughts with us. These surveys on consumer confidence have asked you about the following topics:
- Changes in online shopping habits
- Engagement in everyday activities
- Outlook for future engagement in activities
- Concerns that may impact confidence
- Overall shifts in spending
What We’ve Learned
As of June 8th, 40% of all your purchases are being made online — a number that has decreased over the last few weeks. Interestingly, many of you are opting to purchase items in-store, especially when it comes to groceries.
When looking at the most recent reported activities, purchasing groceries in-store ranks at the top of the list (71%), followed by picking up food for takeout (51%). Other popular activities include buying household essentials (47%) and going to the bank or post office (38%).
Over the course of the last twelve weeks, apparel as well as home & garden purchases have seen a steady increase. As of June 8th, 28% of you report purchasing apparel and 18% of you report buying home & garden items.
As cities have begun to open up, we have likewise noticed a significant increase in your plans to dine out. While only 1% of you reported dining out at a restaurant on May 4th, that number jumped to 14% on June 8th. Plans to dine out in the next two weeks is even higher, with 28% of you reporting interest in eating out soon.
Although decreasing slightly, concern over contracting COVID-19 remains high. As of June 8th, seven out of eight of you (87%) report some degree of concern over contracting the virus, leaving one eighth of you (13%) who are not at all concerned.
Unsurprisingly, this also leads to high concern over large crowds. Approximately 91% of you are concerned about being in large groups.
Resources on COVID-19
If you have questions about COVID-19 and what it means for your local community, please check out official resources provided by the CDC, WHO, and your local municipality.